Misdemeanor Process in Tulsa County, OK
Misdemeanors are lower level crimes in the eyes of the legal system that carry a maximum punishment of one year in jail. An arrest for a misdemeanor crime has a very specific process that must be followed if the state brings a person up on charges.
In Tulsa County the misdemeanor process has several key steps:
- Arrest: Usually the arrest will happen when the police investigate the scene of the crime, but at times the arrest can come after an investigation.
- Arraignment: This first appearance in court is usually to set bail and future court dates.
- Status Conference: This is the first opportunity to seek dismissal. It is possible the case can be disposed of at this stage.
- Allen Hearing: This is a continuation of the case to obtain additional evidence or witnesses.
- Motion Hearings: The attorney files a motion requesting dismissal of the case or of certain evidence due to legal or factual issues.
- Trial: This can be a jury trial or a trial in front of the Judge.
Experienced Attorneys Make a Difference
While misdemeanors may not seem like a big deal, they can have serious implications on your future. Working with an experienced defense attorney for even a minor misdemeanor charge can ensure the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact Edge Criminal Defense to schedule a free review of your case and learn how we can help.
Please reference the following links: